One of the best ways to warm up this Fall as were getting into the colder months is with a mug of my Mother’s homemade soups! I can’t take credit for this one but I definitely wanted to share it will all you Healthnut’s out there who are looking for a hearty meal. I love the mix of purred and whole veggies plus some healthy grains and beans which make it a minestrone style soup.
Your Grocery List:
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) -Can also use Coconut Oil!
- 1 cup of pumpkin chopped
- 4 whole tomatoes diced
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 celery chopped
- 1 cup of beans (your choice- I used black beans)
- ½ cup of barely
- 1 bunch of kale chopped
- Dash of oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to taste
- 8 -10 cups of water
- 1-2 Organic vegetable bouillon cubes (I use Harvest Sun)
Healthy Tip: Use dried beans and soak overtime before adding to soup. This avoids using canned beans which can contain BPA in the lining of the can. If you can’t find or don’t have time to soak your beans, buy Eden Organic Beans instead.
Let’s Get Cooking!
- In a large soup pot saute the onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add pumpkin, tomatoes, 2 celery, 2 carrots, and water with vegetable stock cubes and cook on medium heat.
- Once vegetables are tender and blend everything together.
- Next, add 1 carrot, 1 celery, beans, barley, spices and kale and simmer until all vegetables are tender and cooked to your liking.
- Pour into some cute bowls/mugs and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan if you’d like.
Enjoy this super nutritious and delicious hearty vegetable soup for those colder nights in front of the fire place.
What’s your favourite soup recipe? Please leave me a link in the comments below!
Other recipes you might like!