Better-than-Butter Fresh Fruit Scones
(makes 6 large scones or 12 minis)
This yummy summer recipe uses fruit puree instead of butter to cut the fat and calories!
- 1 cup strawberries (or your favourite fruit)
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of prune puree (you can try making your own or use baby food for an easier option)
- 2/3 cup cold buttermilk or plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Cut fruit into small bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle fruit with 1/2 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- Combine remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Add prune puree!
- Stir in fruit; then add cream/buttermilk all at once. Gently stir dough until it holds together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to incorporate dry ingredients. Be gentle so you don’t break up the fruit or berries.
- Place dough on cookie sheet according to the size of scones you would like, leaving at least 1/2 inch of space between them.
- Bake 10 minutes or until the tops are begin to brown and spring back when you push them.
Enjoy with a cup of tea!